Getting Back to Our Roots

It’s not often that we’re able to get away from the daily grind of meetings and client needs, but when we can, we make it worthwhile. Having the opportunity to volunteer at Urban Roots, a local self-sustaining farm, was a therapeutic and welcomed experience.

“It was inspiring to be up with the sun and working on the farm,” recalls Laney Catledge. “Much needed and refreshing to have my hands in the dirt and helping out such an amazing cause.”

This non-profit organization harvests and donates 40% of their produce to local soup kitchens and food pantries, selling the remaining 60% at farmers’ markets and through their Community-Supported Agriculture (CSA).

After an orientation and quick tour, it was time to get down and dirty. Beets, turnips and radishes were all picked, cleaned and sorted by the team.

“Not going to lie,” Cristina Blanco-Adams said. “I kept waiting for someone to hand out gloves in the beginning (because I don’t do dirt!) … but I had so much fun.”

The best of the produce was packaged up to be sent to local marketplaces, while the remaining share of the crops were boxed and prepped to be dropped off as donations.

“I’ve never had much luck growing foodstuffs,” admitted Diane Bell. “It was amazing to see what can be accomplished with a dedicated core of staff and an army of volunteers.”

Visit their site here to learn more about their mission to transform the lives of young people while nourishing the community.

 

Allison Griffin and Zeina Kronfol work hard and play hard.